E-COMICS?
johnny
I was thinking of moving into e-comics?
Has anyone tried this?
How is it?
Is everything available?
Is it any cheaper?
Any disadvantages?
A Superman's Best Friend Is His SuperDog!

Hypoxic
Yes.
It's mostly great.
Everything new from the major publishers is available. Lots of back titles are available, too.
Initially, no, but new titles drop in price by $1.00 a month after release.
Digital comic books are subject to the same potential problems to which all electronic media are susceptible.

Your next question should have been about the advantages. Wink
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

A6K
I'm 100% digital now. I love them.
I don't care to go through the hassle of storing comics anymore. I have all my old ones from the 1980s-90s back home at my mom's house in trunks and cases. But since comics don't collect value that often anymore I don't see the reason to collet them.

I haven't read comics since I graduated high school but a few years back I started again. I didn't like having to buy and hunt down issues (even though some like it) and tried buying hardcover collections. But when I got a tablet I got hooked on it.

Click, buy, read; I love it! Nothing to store, nothing to throw away, nothing to worry about. It's better for the environment and if there is one comic you want to have in hard copy form you can still go buy it. But if you just want to follow the story it's great.

I guess the biggest disadvantage I can see is that you don't have that hard copy that may collect value. But like I said you can always go buy it if you think it might be that one rare comic that does.

The hard cover collections I have are on display on a book shelf in what I call my nerd room. Superman and Batman posters, an old Nintendo, tons of games and the first year of new 52 Action Comics hard copy are in there.

johnny
Thanks for the advice!
Is there any good sites to get comics?
What tablets are good to use?

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions!

Hypoxic

>johnny wrote:

Thanks for the advice!
Is there any good sites to get comics?
What tablets are good to use?

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions!

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM! Studios, and several other pubishers have their own ways of selling their comic books digitally, but I recommend just going through Comixology. Comixology has the best method of viewing digital comic books, and all the major publishers (except Dark Horse, which doesn't really publish much worth reading anymore, anyway) have their books available via the Comixology site and app. Plenty of smaller publishers, like Third World Studios, go through Comixology, as well. Comixology is also currently moving forward with their own creator-owned titles.

Regarding the tablet, I recommend an iPad. Apple's iOS is just generally better than Android. The tablet itself maybe just as nice as, say, a Samsung Galaxy tab, but overall Apple's products are just slicker.

If you're interested in title suggestions outside of the Big Two, let me know.

The digital revolution is steaming ahead, and with creators like Mark Waid pioneering how we read comic books digitally (see his excellent title, Insufferable), things are looking bright.

Edited by Hypoxic on 04/01/2013 03:50

_____

A6K
I just have to 2nd what Hypoxic said about the iPad.

An example why is when reading an digital comic you have the option of page to page or panel to panel.

I had a samsung galaxy tab powered by android and it irritated me to no end. Especially when reading comics. In panel to panel mode it would skip panels, cut images in half, only display a word bubble not the image, display the panels out of order and once or twice it skipped a whole page.

So I got an iPad, and not once did I ever have any of those issues.
I also prefer the panel to panel reading with digital. Kind of makes things more suspenseful when you can't spoil what happens next. On accident or on purpose. I'm 99.9% more likely to read the comic start to finish the first time in digital as opposed to browsing though with a hard copy.

Also if you read magazines get those on the tablet too. On the iPad there are little videos, audio and interactive images in most magazines.

I'm fickle so I buy all the DC comics on the DC app, All Marvel Comics on the Marvel app and everything else on the Comixology app. Comixology actually runs the DC and Marvel app so that isn't necessary, but I'm wired and demand things be organized that way.

Edited by A6K on 05/01/2013 00:51

Hypoxic

>A6K wrote:

I'm fickle so I buy all the DC comics on the DC app, All Marvel Comics on the Marvel app and everything else on the Comixology app. Comixology actually runs the DC and Marvel app so that isn't necessary, but I'm wired and demand things be organized that way.

Just to further that point, once you download a comic book on either the Comixology app or the DC app, it's available to read in both apps, since, as pointed out, Comixology runs the DC app. The same is likely true for Marvel, as well; however, I can't say for sure since I only read Daredevil and just buy it from Comixology.

Another point of interest: sometimes Comixology runs sales on their site that are not listed or not available via the app. This is odd since you can access all of your Comixology purchases from both locations (which is the point of digital comics: you can access them anywhere as long as you have a mobile device or access to a computer).
_____

johnny
Thanks for the advice!
I'm mostly interested in Superman, new stuff, but mostly the older stuff!
I would even like to get into the really old stuff from the 50's and 40's!!
I hope that stuff is available!

Hypoxic

>johnny wrote:

Thanks for the advice!
I'm mostly interested in Superman, new stuff, but mostly the older stuff!
I would even like to get into the really old stuff from the 50's and 40's!!
I hope that stuff is available!

Yeah, there's a bit of the Golden Age stuff available digitally, but for that era I'd recommend picking up collections. The Superman Chronicles is perhaps the best series. Start with volume 1 and go from there.
_____

The Flying Fool
I'm at 95% digital these days, because my LCS is about an hour away from my home and gas prices was starting to nip into the comics budget.

Comixology has been great, like you said, you just click to buy, then click to read. Simple. And it does save on the clutter at home. If there is a story-arc I really liked, then just wait for the TPB and buy it then.

There are a few physical titles I still get, mainly Sakai's Usagi Yojimbo and Doctor Who titles from IDW, plus the occasional mini-series I may want. These I just order on-line as well.

On the negative side, I haven't been in a comic store in probably over two years now which is sad that I'm not helping support these local businesses that have been a part of my life for so long.

Plus, like Sheldon said on Big Bang Theory, there's just something about the smell of new comics in the air. Wink

Hypoxic

>The Flying Fool wrote:

I'm at 95% digital these days, because my LCS is about an hour away from my home and gas prices was starting to nip into the comics budget.

My guess is a lot of us who have gone digital have done so out of necessity. Like you mentioned, gas prices to drive two hours is pricey. You have to draw the line somewhere.

For me, I'm 99% digital. I buy my pull list from Comixology and then trades from Amazon. I very likely would not be doing this if there was a LCS near me. Unfortunately, there isn't an LCS that sells pamphet comic books any where in the country! So, I'm digital.

Another positive thing of digital is the doors it opens for independent creators. Sure, an ocean of indie comics may drown potential readers but the fact that a couple of guys or girls who have day jobs can put out a their own title online is excellent. With a good idea put together by a good creative team and marketed well, indie creators can now be successful on their own.

Mark my words: the digital revolution of comic books is going to coincide with the boom of creator owned titles.
_____

Jump to Forum: