Print Thread
Comic(s) like the Reeve movies
Can you name some comics that are similar to the Superman movies with Christopher Reeve. This can be the look of the characters, the continuity, etc.

scarecroe
Gary Frank has been drawing Superman in Reeve's likeness of late. This includes the recent Brainiac arc in Action comics, which will be available in collected hardcover on March 4. Without spoiling the story for you, it also includes a plot element famously seen in the movie.

Also look forward to the new origin story being retold this year by Geoff Johns. Gary Frank is illustrating and the solicitation artwork also appears to suggest that the story will be told in Reeve's likeness.

Interestingly, the Daily Planet recap at the end of Action Comics Annual #11 features Clark in Brandon Routh's likeness.

Anyway, I'm sure there are more, and others will no doubt chime in soon.

claudio pahl
Which is great, for me he is the face of Superman and it?s awesome that Frank is homage him through his art.
[img]http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd345/cpahl2000/All-Star-Superman1-ff.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

Duncan B
Superman:Last son.. written by richard donner who directed 1 and half of 2 and very like superman 2
'I am Clark...Supermans just what i do'

I already knew about the Gary Frank thing.
Superman: Last Son; I was wondering which comic Richard Donner did, thanks.

scarecroe
Just as Donner co-wrote Last Son with his former assistant Geoff Johns, they also collaborated on Escape from Bizarro World (also available in collected form).

I haven't read that one yet. Anyone know if it's good? I liked Last Son.

Edited by scarecroe on 14/01/2009 23:40

PD100
"Last Son" comes closest to replicating the feel of the movies, as it should, given Donner's involvement. It's also nice to see Donner go crazy with the action and visuals in a medium in which budgetary/technical limitations aren't an issue.

Man of Steel and most of John Byrne's run evoked a lot of the feel of the Reeve/Donner pictures, with a Reeve-ish Superman, and a Lois that was definitely inspired by Margot Kidder in demeanor, if not in appearance. Byrne's were also the first comics to put Smallville in Kansas, an idea which came from the first Donner film.

I liked the Bizarro arc, but it's very different from "Last Son." It's more a vehicle for Eric Powell than it is a Donner movie-style Superman story.

Gothamite
PD100 wrote:
"Last Son" comes closest to replicating the feel of the movies, as it should, given Donner's involvement. It's also nice to see Donner go crazy with the action and visuals in a medium in which budgetary/technical limitations aren't an issue.

Agreed. Last Son basically took everything that was any good about Superman II and Superman Returns, with a dash of Lois & Clark, got rid of all of the crappy stuff and made an excellent, fun-filled, movie-like extravaganza. I recommend this one to any and all fans of the Superman movies.

Man of Steel and most of John Byrne's run evoked a lot of the feel of the Reeve/Donner pictures, with a Reeve-ish Superman, and a Lois that was definitely inspired by Margot Kidder in demeanor, if not in appearance. Byrne's were also the first comics to put Smallville in Kansas, an idea which came from the first Donner film.

MOS was more like the George Reeves show with a streetwise, 80s feel to it, in my opinion. First and foremost, Clark was a confident, good-looking, successful journalist with the world in his pocket (like George's interpretation of the character), compared to the flat-out dork of the movies. Superman (who was said to be in his mid to late twenties in the Byrne stories) was also a little bit more humourous and energetic with a tendency to be flustered by the women of his life. Chris' Superman was also cool and level-headed. Not to mention, Byrne's Superman was powered-down massively; the idea of him lifting the Statue of Liberty with ease and smiling away at the crowd as Chris did in Superman IV wasn't very plausible for this Superman.

I liked the Bizarro arc, but it's very different from "Last Son." It's more a vehicle for Eric Powell than it is a Donner movie-style Superman story. [/quote]
[img]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/Gothamite/Gothamite.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

How does Superman look in Last Son?

NeoRanger
^^Angry, apparently. Not like Reeve, IIRC.

Duncan B
Id love to have seen it drawn by gary frank. I liked the way the artist drew lois and clark tho. made himlook like BR
'I am Clark...Supermans just what i do'

I've read some rumors (here) that at one point in time, Donner and Johns planned to base a future arc on Richard Donner's original idea for Superman III involving Brainiac. I'm guessing that since I can't find anything else on that, it never happened.

What about Johns/Frank's Braniac comic? Is there any evidence that that comic is similar to Donner's idea for Superman III? Did they ever make that available in collected form?

Roger
Thanx guys. Off your recommendations I'm going to try to track down that 'Last Son' story.
So is it kind of a Superman 2 or 3 continuation? Or just the same feel?
- Roger "THE Doctor"
"Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee."
- Dale Cooper (Twin Peaks)
www.DOCTORXOMBIE.com - horror host videos.

UltraWoman
There's also two comics based on Superman III and Superman IV (I have the IV one somewhere.)

Jump to Forum: