Print Thread
Who is supporting the no marriage of our favorite couple.
NeoRanger
I was writing a short screenplay with the climactic battle during a pseudo-Kryptonian invasion (yeah, original, I know). At some point Parasite, obsessed with charging himself with Superman's powers shows up and Superman, tired of everyone just assuming he's the happiest, most powerful man in the universe grabs Parasite and lets him taste a little bit of his power. I couldn't come up with any other resolution than have Parasite collapse under the voices of six billion people in his head.

It seems odd to me that even the layman would not get at least this much. I know, because I find myself against the "he's too perfect" argument from non-fans as well.
 
King Creole
I really don't mind the marriage being erased. This opens a window of endless possibilites and opportunities for the writers. How about Superman having an affair with Wonder Woman? That happened briefly in tha late 1980's, but was never truly explored as far as I remember. But then again, I missed a lot of issues back then.
You are here for a reason.
 
baalroo

>NeoRanger wrote:


I was writing a short screenplay with the climactic battle during a pseudo-Kryptonian invasion (yeah, original, I know). At some point Parasite, obsessed with charging himself with Superman's powers shows up and Superman, tired of everyone just assuming he's the happiest, most powerful man in the universe grabs Parasite and lets him taste a little bit of his power. I couldn't come up with any other resolution than have Parasite collapse under the voices of six billion people in his head.

It seems odd to me that even the layman would not get at least this much. I know, because I find myself against the "he's too perfect" argument from non-fans as well.


sounds like the episode of smallville when Jor El gave Clark's powers to Lois for a day and she became really distraught with the weight of the responsibility. Clark had to explain to her that he has to constantly pick and choose and prioritize who to save while also balancing his own wants and needs in order to stay "sane." Like any episode of that show, it was flawed as well, but the point was made pretty well. Supes is far from "perfect," and being "god-like" comes with it's own set of problems. I really wish they would focus more on these particular parts of the character. Not making him "emo" or "dark," but rather highlighting how he actually DOES manage these priorities and comes through the other side with his still generally positive and hopeful disposition. THAT to me is the crux of superman.

Mo' Power, Mo' Problems
 
william b
In regard to the original question: To me, the marriage was a bad idea in the first place.
In virtually every adventure book, movie, T.V. show, radio drama, etc.... most hero's are unmarried for a reason: it's just more exciting. In any story with a romantic element, romantic uncertainty is THE surefire way to get audience interest. (Which is why there is often a lot of infidelity even when characters are married).
I think comics certainly COULD explore married life for a character like Superman in an interesting way (and have on occasion). But maybe those are best left for graphic novels or unusual one shot stories.
An ongoing adventure series needs more drama. And you just can't have that once the character's "settle down."
When people want domestic bliss, they watch Cheaper by the Dozen. When they want adventure, they typically want a macho guy who has a girlfriend but isn't TOO attached.
 
Saint Expeditus
I am neither for or against the marriage. A good writer can use either and it isn't like they wont spiral toward marriage again.
 
A6K

>Saint Expeditus wrote:


I am neither for or against the marriage. A good writer can use either and it isn't like they wont spiral toward marriage again.


Exactly, anyone that is crying about the marriage thing can rest assured that it will happen again. If they can't put pants on Wonder Woman they can't keep a ring off Lois's finger.
Pants on, ring off IMO.
 
MorganEdge
Here's an idea for a Superman Comic!
Portray how difficult it is to be married to an obsessively competitive woman who has awful daddy issues and a b!tchy attitude. Plus, she just can't stay away from trouble and loves snooping around everything. That would be an interesting story.
 
The Flying Fool
I hate to see the marriage end for I think it's one of the more successful depictions of such in comics today. This doesn't mean I'm boycotting the new launch but it depends on how their new relationship works.

Their marriage was a step forward, a natural progression of their long-standing relationship. If they are not married, I would hope that DC would spend time towards developing new, fresh ways of exploring their relationship instead of falling back into previous habits.
 
Hypoxic

>The Flying Fool wrote:


I hate to see the marriage end for I think it's one of the more successful depictions of such in comics today. This doesn't mean I'm boycotting the new launch but it depends on how their new relationship works.

Their marriage was a step forward, a natural progression of their long-standing relationship. If they are not married, I would hope that DC would spend time towards developing new, fresh ways of exploring their relationship instead of falling back into previous habits.


The marriage isn't ending, it hasn't even started - in the relaunched timeline.
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor
 
Super_Haida
I prefer having them married. Having them married basically ended the whole "does she know?" aspect of Clarks dual identity. And if they aren't married, essentially DC will milk that forever, til they finally get married again anyways. I enjoyed the Lois interaction a lot more after they got married. I never cared for her that much prior to the wedding.
 
Eagle
I admit to being a bit dubious at first, but now that we have a few details, I'm okay with the marriage not being a part of the relaunch. I was a bit worried at first because so many headlines and rumors talked about the marriage "ending," and a few even used the word "divorce." Had DC gone that route, it would be a different story, and I would be a bit upset. Starting a new continuity before the marriage happened does not bother me at all, though.

I agree completely with those who have said that the marriage is the logical path for the Lois/Clark relationship. I believe quite strongly that good stories can be told both before and after the marriage (and before and after Lois knows the secret). Good stories can be told at different points in the characters' lives. Having said that, I do think that half the fun of the relationship story is in getting to the marriage, and I don't have a problem with experiencing that journey again in a new continuity, however long it might take.

Edited by Eagle on 13/08/2011 18:59

 
Man_Of_Steel_
The marriage was never a big deal to me. I think new readers wouldn't relate to a married Clark and Lois. Remember, DC is going after a younger audience. So getting rid of the marriage isn't the end of the world.
It's a bird, it's a plane, it's Superman.
 
copacetic
it's a relaunch, so why keep the status quo of old? the marriage didn't even happen till the early 90s, so it's not like it's the very original status quo of the character. superman emerged as a single guy, so that's how they're portraying him in the relaunch.
 
Saint Expeditus

>Man_Of_Steel_ wrote:


The marriage was never a big deal to me. I think new readers wouldn't relate to a married Clark and Lois. Remember, DC is going after a younger audience. So getting rid of the marriage isn't the end of the world.


I understand your point but I could make a compelling case that they aren't going for a younger audience or certainly not an expanded one. Fictional character relatability doesn't work the way you suggest either. Can a 4-13 year old relate to flying or having heat vision? Comics are fantasies about what the reader aspires to. Finding true love / marrying the girl of your dreams is one of those things.
 
Golddragon71
The thing is though, The first time they got married it was a big deal it was the culmination of 60 years worth of stories and it lasted about fifteen or so years (for us anyway I think it was about four or five for them!)
Even if tptb eventually Marry Lois and Clark up again in a couple of years, it won't have the same impact.
 
NeoRanger

>Saint Expeditus wrote:


>Man_Of_Steel_ wrote:


The marriage was never a big deal to me. I think new readers wouldn't relate to a married Clark and Lois. Remember, DC is going after a younger audience. So getting rid of the marriage isn't the end of the world.


I understand your point but I could make a compelling case that they aren't going for a younger audience or certainly not an expanded one. Fictional character relatability doesn't work the way you suggest either. Can a 4-13 year old relate to flying or having heat vision? Comics are fantasies about what the reader aspires to. Finding true love / marrying the girl of your dreams is one of those things.


!

At the age of four, when girls have cooties, or at the age of thirteen, when an erection is still something that just won't let you sleep on your stomach?

This really doesn't work this way. Even I, someone in the minority who enjoyed the romance in Lois & Clark when I was only a kid, will tell you that if they had started at the end (i.e. already married), I would have never had stuck with the show. It's not exactly rocket science either. You don't start the story at the end, it *is* a reboot.
 
Victory-Prime
you know, a year ago i said to myself, " i hope they don't erase the clark/ lois marriage, like marvel did to spider-man." and sure enough, this happens! this "new 52" stuff better be worth it.
check out the latest issue of victory:

<a href="http://victoryadventures.cfw.me/comics/"><img src="http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h281/_Chris_V_/viclink2012a.jpg"></a>
 
NeoRanger
^ Eh, it's not the same. This is a full reboot, they are restarting the story. Spider-Man just pulled a mind-eraser, a complete cop-out-- which, by the way, is a bullet we dodged ourselves back in 2000. They intended to do OMD for Superman.
 
Victory-Prime
^ what storyline is that? i didn't collect superman comics at that time.
check out the latest issue of victory:

<a href="http://victoryadventures.cfw.me/comics/"><img src="http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h281/_Chris_V_/viclink2012a.jpg"></a>
 
NeoRanger
It was never written. Back in the beginning of last decade, when the Silver Age Brigade took over DC, they looked to "fix" Superman. Part of the fixes (a big part) was erase the marriage. They apparently discussed a number of methods (I've heard Brainiac nanites and stuff like that), but even the writers' massive ego wasn't enough for them not to realize that if they have to go to such great lengths for this, they're better off just leaving things how they are.
 
Jump to Forum: