Print Thread
New 52 - Action Comics (SPOILERS)
copacetic

>Hypoxic wrote:

Yeah, it was pretty good. It was entertaining enough, particularly considering K-Man is actually the guy Supes tossed into Hobb's Bay.

That was Atomic Skull in Landis's story.

Yeah! I dug that, they took that one iconic scene from the first Action Comics and actually are making it count for a villain's origin. I particularly wish Superman would continue to be that kind of hero - the champion of the oppressed, the guy who stands up to bullies big and small. But I guess as the books progress, Superman's challenges will become more fantastic than they are a slice of everyday life. I guess that can go either way though - Superman talking to drug dealers in "Grounded" was just so awkward and distanced from reality, maybe it's a good thing that he does battle giant robots and gods every week instead of "real" villains.

Hypoxic
Ooo, I really liked #15. I love it when Morrison messes around with time. I'm digging how all the little pieces are fitting together; classic Grant.

4 out of 5
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

The Flying Fool
Hi, slightly old-new member here, but long-time Superman fan and reader.

When the New52 started, was dismayed over the reboot, tried out the first few issues of both Action and Superman, but later on, the changing creative teams at Superman and Morrison still lingering 5 years ago kinda put me off on Superman comics.

But lately, I decided heck with it, just want to read a good Supes book. So even though Morrison is leaving this year, decided to check out Action with #15.

Quite good and interesting. Morrison's ideas on expanding the 5th dimensional world of Mxy is mind-blowing as is the new villain in the Little Guy.

The time-tossing around can be slightly confusing, but like you said, how Morrison works all the pieces together is cool.

Enjoyed this issue, looking forward to the next.

SupermanJLU
I Love Superman and collect all the New 52 Superman related comics including Action Comics. I have to say while I do not hate Grant Morrison's run on Action I have not loved it either. There have been several issues that were pretty good but I found that some issues were all over the place. I often wondered if I missed something in a previous issue or in a previous panel as I got lost in a page or two that did not seem to fit in the current issue. The story slowly came together after some re-reading and a few issues of misplaced content later but by then I slowly lost interest in Grant's vision and hoped for some change to occur. I have to say I was a little excited to hear Grant was leaving Action Comics and I hope he ends his run with the enjoyment of the first few issues which I thought were great.

So the big question is will Andy Diggle be able to develop an intelligent and interesting story for Superman I am not sure. As always I am hoping for a successful run but for some reason not many writers can create great Superman stories. However I am very excited to see Tony Daniel's Art as I love everything he draws.

BBally
Morrison's run had its problems like almost any other run but overall it was a satisfying run in my opinion and I felt that he at least got the character as a whole (unlike some writers), Moorison's no genius nor am I a fan of everything he's done but his Superman stories hit the right chord with me.
No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Hypoxic
Well, I'm not very impressed with Diggle's story so far. I found issue #20 quite boring. There are a lot of tropes he's tossed into the story. It just doesn't feel fresh, but worst of all it just isn't very exciting.

2 out of 5
_____

Hypoxic
So, Diggle's story was exceedingly commonplace. I was so bored with that it took more than one sitting to finish the final issue. I'm not excited for whatever Lobdell has in store, what with my hardened dislike for Lobdell's writing being no secret. Now, I'm very keen on the announcement that Action's new creative team has Greg Pak writing. That's crackin' news.

Any thoughts?
_____

Hypoxic
Great guns, issue #22 was terrible. Putting the mailed-in plot aside, the dialogue was so wooden my eyes got splinters. The sooner Lobdell gets off of Superman, the sooner I can start reading the eponymous title again. With Action, Greg Pak can't come quickly enough.

1 out of 5
_____

IFightForTomorrow

>Hypoxic wrote:

So, Diggle's story was exceedingly commonplace. I was so bored with that it took more than one sitting to finish the final issue. I'm not excited for whatever Lobdell has in store, what with my hardened dislike for Lobdell's writing being no secret. Now, I'm very keen on the announcement that Action's new creative team has Greg Pak writing. That's crackin' news.

Any thoughts?

If Pak can write Superman with even half the craftmanship he lavished upon the Hulk, we're set to have a pretty good comic on our hands again. Let's hope he lasts longer than three issues, yeah?

James-El
Planet Hulk is probably my favourite Hulk arc/story, currently. I haven't read many Hulk comics. I'll be buying Indestructible Hulk in softcover TPB.

Greg Pak, might show Superman becoming more combat efficient, showing him training and learning how to fight, etc. I'd love to see Superman training in both the comics (New 52 continuity) and "Man of Steel II" (Wrote the MoS II issue, in the correct, appropriate thread, but just slightly mentioning it here)

With the New 52 in play and I'm all in favour of it, because it can lead to many great stories now and in the future, Superman's training from the previous continuity is....well, erased. The training with Mongul, the fighting styles of Krypton/Kyrptonians and Earth/Human styles from Batman. It's all gone.

As long as I see it sometime in the future, I'll be a happy camper. Superman needs to be elevated to "Warrior" status in the years to come. Right now I feel he's a "Brawler". No technique, no battle instincts, no "smart" hand-to-hand combat whatsoever, because he hasn't needed it.....yet Smile
Superman: "I'm for everyone"

IFightForTomorrow
I like Brawler Superman. Partially, I like it because it makes him feel elemental, like a force of nature rather than a weapon of precision and there's a good ammount of messier fun to be had in that kind of character. Partially, because I feel like it harkens back to something that's been a part of the character since day one. There's something deeply satisfying in those moments where, as Michael Bailey would say, Superman has just had enough of a badguy's $%^# and he just goes after him. Partially because if Superman has a deep understanding of martial arts on top of being a veritable demi-god...man, that is just unfair.

Needless to say, I'm digging Batman/Superman so far and would love an ongoing for Superman which solely inhabits Clark's T-Shirt and Jeans period from early New 52 Action.

superdan6180
Has anyone picked up Zod for villains month? It was by far the best Supes related comic of the month! Interesting take on Zod and his childhood. They should go further into it and maybe do a miniseries. I'd buy it!
It's not an S. On my world it means hope.

Hypoxic

>superdan6180 wrote:

Has anyone picked up Zod for villains month? It was by far the best Supes related comic of the month! Interesting take on Zod and his childhood. They should go further into it and maybe do a miniseries. I'd buy it!

Yeah, I picked it up. I have a few issues with it. The "atheist converting before death" line had me gagging. The central idea - that Zod digs monsters - was too prominent. It's mentioned in the beginning, then again in the middle, then utilized as the clincher. It was't effective at the end because it had lost lustre with the second mentioning of it. It's almost as if comic book writers - or editors, and I actually put this instance on editorial - need to make sure we're paying attention, holding our hand through the deeper parts of the stories. It was a little disenchanting.

It was an okay story. 3 out of 5
_____

Hypoxic
Here's a good little interview with Jason Inman about Superman:

http://www.youtub...wWuyZ8ocS8
_____

The Last Kryptonian
Off topic, am I the only one who thinks New 52 Superman sometimes looks a little like a young Elvis Presley?

copacetic
The current Greg Pak run is all kinds of awesome. Very neat little adventure tale with sci fi elements, monsters, good characterization for Superman and Lana Lang, lots to like.

Hypoxic

>copacetic wrote:

The current Greg Pak run is all kinds of awesome. Very neat little adventure tale with sci fi elements, monsters, good characterization for Superman and Lana Lang, lots to like.

Agreed. I haven't been enjoying Superman this much since Morrison's run ended (I'm still not reading Superman).
_____

NeoRanger

>Hypoxic wrote:

>copacetic wrote:

Agreed. I haven't been enjoying Superman this much since Morrison's run ended.

Add another vote from me. Hell, I haven't enjoyed Superman this much since before Infinite Crisis (with the exception of specific runs, such as the aforementioned Morrison run).

(I'm still not reading Superman)

You're doing the right thing. If Lobdell was bad when he actually had stories to tell, now that he's killing time until he's off the book he's absolutely insufferable.

Jump to Forum: