Print Thread
New 52 - Justice League (SPOILERS)
edphlash
Any word yet on if issue 12 is worth picking up? I've not been reading the series so far.

Hypoxic

>edphlash wrote:

Any word yet on if issue 12 is worth picking up? I've not been reading the series so far.

I haven't read any reviews yet, and I haven't been following the title since the end of the first arc, but it will take more than a smooch to interest me in the title.
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

edphlash

>Hypoxic wrote:

it will take more than a smooch to interest me in the title.

My thoughts exactly. I saw the book in the store yesterday, and was like "oh yeah, that's happening. Meh."

Whogaman
Since the inception of the New 52, it seems like anything goes. Everything from parallel worlds, (Earth Two and Worlds Finest) to the relationship between Superman and Supergirl being strained at best. So far we have seen that Clark Kent isn't so lucky in love as to be seen walking away from Lois's apartment with his tail between his legs because Lois is with another man.

I guess everyone thinks that Lois and Clark in love is a foregone conclusion. But from what that has been said by Dan Didio and Jim Lee, that union might be far into the future. So enter Wonder Woman. Most people that I know think that this is a perfect union because they compliment each other on a physical level. And since we don't know how long Superman will live, and Wonder Woman is immortal (?), they would outlive us all.

I say if I can't have Lois and Clark, this is the next best thing. Look at Kingdom Come and the Dark Knight Strikes Again where they are shown involved intimately with each other. So a Superman/Wonder Woman relationship is nothing new.

So if we consider the New 52 as a blank slate, how can some fans expect that things will work like they did pre Flashpoint? Comic book writers are telling stories about events and their consequences. So other than ginning up fan response, and major media coverage. this love affair is a natural outgrowth of two hearts that needs healing. So whether it is a rebound pairing, it is something that I think I think should last at least as long as DC Comics keeps this universe around. Then we can see what will happen in the next relaunch. Wink

Peace Whoga
[img]https://scontent-b-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/1543679_624694037566834_909789152_n.jpg?oh=448b277b52c10f94d290f54275a18dc1&oe=52D8C0FD[/img]=====================================
"Like the only real magic -- The magic of knowledge."

Hypoxic
Question: for those readers who dropped the JL title, or were never interested in reading it, will the upcoming Trinity War be enough to have you come back for that arc, at least?

I'm on the fence. I may give a couple issues a shot.
_____

Sven-El
Same here.

I have been reading it, I will say it was kind a weird in Issue 11, I think for Batman to be lecturing Wonder Woamn on how "we don't decapitate our enemies" .I mean yeah, Bats lives by a "thou shalt not kill" code of ethics, but he doesn't let his enemies know . I don't know, I guess I'm stuck in a pre-Flashpoint/DCAU world where SUperman would actually espouse such views.

It just feels weird for Batman, of all people, to be a the moral center of the league. Not only that, he seems to be moderatly well adjusted.
"You're here for a reason. Now I don't know what reason or whose reason but it's not just to score touch downs. "
-Jonathon Kent.
SUPERMAN: THE MOTION PICTURE

Hypoxic

>Sven-El wrote:

Same here.

I have been reading it, I will say it was kind a weird in Issue 11, I think for Batman to be lecturing Wonder Woamn on how "we don't decapitate our enemies" .I mean yeah, Bats lives by a "thou shalt not kill" code of ethics, but he doesn't let his enemies know . I don't know, I guess I'm stuck in a pre-Flashpoint/DCAU world where SUperman would actually espouse such views.

It just feels weird for Batman, of all people, to be a the moral center of the league. Not only that, he seems to be moderatly well adjusted.

The only Batman title I'm following is the eponymous one, as it not only started off the strongest of the Bat titles, it continued to be strong (no doubt thanks to it having the better creative team). With that said, the title remained interesting from a character point-of-view partially because Batman remains a broken little boy doing his damndest to not let anyone know that. That's the pathos of the character and what makes him worth reading. Even if he's still written to be sharp, prepared, deeply in control, a well-rounded, tight-headed Batman just isn't very interesting.
_____

The Flying Fool
For some reason, I've never been a big fan/reader of Justice League. Maybe it's due to the fact as heroes, they just naturally get together instead of somehow being forced or brought together (ala the Avengers, who I've always been a bigger fan of than the JL)

Their individual titles are great, Batman we all know about, I've heard good things about Wonder Woman and Manapul and Co. are simply knocking it out of the park on Flash.

Tied with Superman as one of my all-time favorite characters is Shazam which would naturally be enough to get me to check out JL, but I've been hesitant to do so. Johns doesn't inspire the best of confidence from me and while Frank's art is great, the costume re-designs and other art I've seen lead me to believe this is a darker version of Billy Batson.

So, don't mind spoilers, can someone catch me up on what Johns has been doing with Shazam?

James-El
Issue #21 is dedicated to Shazam SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

Basic outline of events
- The battle of Shazam and Black Adam is still going on in Phily.
- The seven deadly sins posses the darkest/cruel/douche in the city. A.K.A. Mr.Bryer, the rich guy/the bullies father. (Whatever his name is)
- The deadly sins unified state looks like a big Demon/Belrog type of monster.
- Black Adam is too much for Billy.
- Francesca reminds Billy of what the wizard's last words were to him about family

- Black Adam says give me your power. (Eternal Lightning)
- Billy releases the eternal lightning, by yelling Shazam, but instead of going to Black Adam, he targets his new step-brothers/sisters.
- They're all transformed like Billy, matching costumes to match, some red, some blue, some green etc.
- They help Billy even out the fight and help as many citizens as they can who are caught in the middle of this battle.

- Billy transforms back into a kid and tells Adam he is a coward if he can't face a child without the help of his powers.
- Black Adam says Shazam, for the first time in thousands of years and his natural age catches up to him and turns to dust.
- They take down the possessed Bryer.
- Billy decides to stay with his new family.

END

I generally hate magic in anything, but this was handled so well, Shazam is my favourite Magical character now.
Superman: "I'm for everyone"

NeoRanger
Spoilers for #22

I picked up JL #22, even though I haven't been following the series, because the previews featured Superman killing Dr. Light and, naturally, people flipping their poop because everything new is awful and morally corrupt and should be shunned, as opposed to the consistently awesome old comics that they grew up with.

Anybody read it? The book makes it expressly clear that Superman didn't actually kill Light (and even if it hadn't, the set-up was pretty obvious). I would like to punch Kotaku for consistently spreading misinformation in their blogs, though.

I'm always on the fence with Johns (sometimes I like his stuff, sometimes I hate his guts), but the way the issue is written it seems almost like a critique on both MoS and the legions of fans who hate MoS because of its ending.

It's probably coincidental and I'm reading into it, chances are the script for this issue was penned and turned in long before MoS hit theaters, but I like how he essentially says "yes, Superman doesn't kill, but no, the world isn't black-and-white and bad things can happen to the best of people".

Jump to Forum: