Print Thread
New 52 - Superman (SPOILERS)
copacetic
This art looks kinda...stupid.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/LF3jk.png[/img] is not a valid Image.

Hypoxic

>copacetic wrote:

Yeah, Rocafort is overrated. Intensely.
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

UltraWoman

>Hypoxic wrote:

>copacetic wrote:

Yeah, Rocafort is overrated. Intensely.

I have to agree as well. For all the people praising his work it reminds me a lot of Birthright visually. I know that book gets praised a lot but for me the artwork is one of its weak points.

Hypoxic
I agree with the adage that says "excellent writing makes up for poor art", but merely decent art doesn't make up for poor writing...
_____

copacetic
I love that the pose they gave Superman was basically Stupid Sexy Flanders.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/iGgBo.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

UltraWoman
[quote]copacetic wrote:

I love that the pose they gave Superman was basically Stupid Sexy Flanders.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/iGgBo.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.[/quote

I guess it goes to show that the "brokeback" is a little more universal than first thought. Wish that wasn't the case though. I like butts as much as the next (hetereo) female but even a brokeback is off-putting regardless of gender.

A6K
I'm guess I'm the only one enjoying the H'el on Earth story line?

Issue 15 was pretty good IMO. I liked the attitude Superman has and the fact it acknowledges that Superman is a genius instead of a big lug that punches things.

I also liked the interactions between Superman and Lex Lutor. Superman doesn't take any chances with Lex and is actually quite cautious. Also the scars on Lex's face and reference to them imply something big maybe coming up in Actions Comics between Lex and Superman. The conversation also went in a direction that I didn't expect.

My biggest complaint are the over the top facilities in this current story arc. The huge machine under the earth's surface that measured Superman's strength, the huge prison just for Lex Lutor and the Fortress of Solitude being the same thing from the Donner universe.

In the Man of Steel trailer they imply that the Fortress is below the surface, I like that idea because it's not a huge crystal thing visible from the air and miles away if your standing on the ground. That and I feel it's time to move one and just be respectful of the past.

All in all I give it a 4 out of 5

Hypoxic

>A6K wrote:

I've dropped Superman. I gave Lobdell, the Rob Liefeld of comic book writers, a shot with his take on Supes, but I just can't stomach his writing. No soup for you, Scott! No. Soup. For. You!

I can't stand his writing. I hate it, in fact. His pacing. His brainless execution of lukewarm ideas. And his dialogue... good gravy, his dialogue... Again with the no soup.

Did I mention how much I really don't like Lobdell?

Yeah, I hate him. And his pens.

So, yeah, I'm not following H'El on Earth.
_____

Whogaman
I might be kinda dumb here, but could someone please tell me in what order to read H'el on Earth? I mean this story overlaps so much that it confuses the heck out of me. Pfft

Thanks

Peace Whoga
[img]https://scontent-b-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/1543679_624694037566834_909789152_n.jpg?oh=448b277b52c10f94d290f54275a18dc1&oe=52D8C0FD[/img]=====================================
"Like the only real magic -- The magic of knowledge."

A6K

>Whogaman wrote:

I might be kinda dumb here, but could someone please tell me in what order to read H'el on Earth? I mean this story overlaps so much that it confuses the heck out of me. Pfft

Thanks

Peace Whoga

Whoga

You can go to this link at comixology and the issues are listed in order where it says "issues" at the bottom of the screen.

http://www.comixo...y-arc/1435

The Flying Fool

>Hypoxic wrote:

>A6K wrote:

I've dropped Superman. I gave Lobdell, the Rob Liefeld of comic book writers, a shot with his take on Supes, but I just can't stomach his writing. No soup for you, Scott! No. Soup. For. You!

I can't stand his writing. I hate it, in fact. His pacing. His brainless execution of lukewarm ideas. And his dialogue... good gravy, his dialogue... Again with the no soup.

Did I mention how much I really don't like Lobdell?

Yeah, I hate him. And his pens.

So, yeah, I'm not following H'El on Earth.

The Liefeld of Writers, hehe, I like that.

The last time I think I read a Lobdell comic was back when he was writing X-Men in the 90s. I never had any serious issues with his work but neither has he been one of my favorite writers. (So, if he is butchering Tim Drake and the Titans, let me know as well)

The art though, yeah, it's looks half-finished, like rough pencils that was lightly inked and then colored.

Any news or thoughts on how long Lobdell will be on this book? That's been my biggest thing about this title, lack on creative consistency. Changing creative teams around, how are they supposed to build any cohesive vision or goal with the character in what is supposedly one of their flagship titles?

Very worrisome.

SupermanJLU
I for one have been really enjoying the Superman title with the H'el story arc. While I agree Lobdell is not always amazing I find this story to be great. Lucky for me I am collecting all the issues (Superboy and Supergirl) as I do not like having to buy titles I do not collect in order to read a complete story. Hopefully the next story stays within each title.

As for the art not everyone has the same taste. Personally I see a lot of art in comics I really hate and everyone else seems to be praising. This time however I am really enjoying the art. I really like Rocafort's art style but I understand if anyone does not. I just did a flip through of issues 0, 13, 14, 15 and 16 again just to reflect on some of the comments a few other posters have made reference too and while I find a few panels might be shaky (mostly smaller less detailed panels) I think his art work is solid.

Ultimus Prime
I enjoyed H'El on earth as it presented a nice semi-cosmic threat for the S-trio to have a reason to interact with each other which before this crossover event was very sparingly. I am hoping that the next arc will allow us to see more of the Superman we all have been hoping for.

I would kill for an arc to take place in space or involve the New Gods.

As someone who loved Birthright and wishes that it had stuck somewhat as the new origin story minus the vegetarianism. I had no problem with the art. I think sometimes we get a little to nit-picky over minor details.
I shall teach you to reach for the Heavens

James-El
H'El is a great character, Can't wait to find out more about him.
I haven't re-read "H'El on Earth" recently, we don't know his real name do we?
Superman: "I'm for everyone"

UltraWoman
What do you guys think of the Psi arc?

Hypoxic

>UltraWoman wrote:

What do you guys think of the Psi arc?

I'm still not following the title. I'm waiting for Lobdell's departure. However, from people whose opinions on comic books I trust, I've heard nothing good.
_____

Jump to Forum: