Mild Mannered Reviews - Regular Superman Comics
Superman #146Scheduled to arrive in stores: May 19, 1999
Cover date: July 1999
1999 Triangle No. 27
Writer: Dan Jurgens
Penciller: Dan Jurgens
Inker: Joe Rubinstein
"Rough Day At The Office"
Reviewed by: Michael O'Connor
At Lois and Clark's apartment, Lois anxiously awaits the arrival of her husband and as she begins to talk to the cat, Superman arrives, settling down for dinner with her, and telling her how his day went.
Superman is flying through Metropolis when he sees that a company originally dedicated to producing a classic board game has traded up for a highly interactive violent video game. Superman is concerned to see this, unable to believe that tradition and excellence will be replaced by a trashy piece of technology.
As Superman thinks this over, the robots surrounding the podium where the owner speaks, come to life, attacking the crowd.
Superman springs into action, easily taking out the robots and saving the innocents involved. Superman flies off, knowing that he must find the Toyman.
Superman arrives at prison, only to find that the Toyman is still in his cell. Superman searches the cell and finds that the Toyman has hidden toys in a secret compartment, but sees no evidence that the Toyman could have escaped. He apologizes for his intrusion and is about to leave when the Toyman clues him in on the Prankster's possible involvement.
Superman arrives at the Prankster's headquarters and quickly arrests the maniac after being doused with acid and fire.
Back home, Superman finishes his tale to Lois and can't help but feel sorry for the Toyman. Supes decides to give the Toyman one more chance and flies him off to an orphanage, where the Toyman's job will be to create new toys for the children. The Toyman is more than ecstatic and thanks Superman as the Man of Steel leaves with a smile on his face.
Story - 3: Fairly simple and nothing particularly exciting, it was nevertheless, a fun read. It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either. It was nice to see Supes giving the Toyman a second chance, but I couldn't help wondering why he didn't do it earlier. It very much had the feel of a Jurgens story, which is something that has been missing from the Superman books for a while now. I'm not sure whether that's a good or a bad thing...
Art - 4: Typical Jurgens and Rubinstein art. A few steps over mediocre in this particular issue.
Cover - 4: Catches the eye, but the title's a little confusing. At first, I thought it was a special or something...
Mild Mannered Reviews
1999Note: Month dates are from the issue covers, not the actual date when the comic was on sale.
-  Superman: King of the World
-  Superman #145
-  The Adventures of Superman #568
- Superman's Nemesis: Lex Luthor #4
- JLA #30
- Superman 80-Page Giant #2
- Batman & Superman: World's Finest #3
- Superman: Peace on Earth
-  Action Comics #755
-  Superman - The Man of Steel #90
-  Superman #146
-  The Adventures of Superman #569
- JLA #31
- Superman Adventures #33
- Team Superman #1
- The Incredible Hulk vs Superman #1
- Superman: The Odyssey
- Batman & Superman: World's Finest #4
-  Superman The Man of Tomorrow #14
-  Action Comics #756
-  Superman - The Man of Steel #91
-  Superman #147
- JLA #32
- Superman Adventures #34
- Superman: The Last God of Krypton
- Batman & Superman: World's Finest #5
-  The Adventures of Superman #570
-  Action Comics #757
-  Superman - The Man of Steel #92
-  Superman #148
- JLA #33
- Superman Adventures #35
- Batman & Superman: World's Finest #6
-  The Adventures of Superman #571
-  Action Comics #758
-  Superman - The Man of Steel #93
-  Superman #149
- JLA #34 (No Review)
- Superman Adventures #36
- Batman & Superman: World's Finest #7
-  The Adventures of Superman #572
- Day of Judgment #1
-  Action Comics #759
- Day of Judgment #2
-  Superman - The Man of Steel #94
- Day of Judgment #3
-  Superman #150
- Day of Judgment #4
-  Superman The Man of Tomorrow #15
- Day of Judgment #5
- JLA #35 (No Review)
- Superman Adventures #37
- Superman & Savage Dragon: Metropolis
- Batman & Superman: World's Finest #8
-  Superman #151
-  The Adventures of Superman #573
-  Superman: The Man of Steel #95
-  Action Comics #760
- JLA #36
- Superman Adventures #38
- Superman vs The Terminator #1
- Batman and Superman: World's Finest #9
- The Superman Monster
- Superman Inc. [Elseworlds]
Check out the Comic Index.