Mild Mannered Reviews - Specials
Superman's Nemesis: Lex Luthor #4June 1999
Writer: David Michelinie
Penciller: Val Semeiks
Inker: Dennis Janke
Dark Victory - Chapter 4: "The Triumph of Tragedy"
Reviewed by: Gareth Baker (GHLBJEDI@aol.com)
Lex doesn't pull the trigger, instead he pulls it on Krisma. Naturally the gun isn't loaded. Krisma uses his powers on Lex and gets him to spill all the information on all the dodgy deals he has ever done. Much later. Lex leaves Krisma's building, and awakens from the spell, realising what had happened. He needs help do defeat Krisma: Superman.
Lex heads to STAR where Superman was helping with some experiments. When he arrives, he discovers that Superman has gone to investigate a strange star, the star that Krisma comes from. Lex decides he'll have to get Krisma on his own.
Using a range of disguises, Lex sneaks into LexCorp Tower and uses his technology to send a signal. He then visits Lena, who still screams at him. Lex is soon arrested by his own security personnel and taken to the roof where Krisma is waiting.
Lex immediately uses the helicopter that is waiting on the roof to attack Krisma. However, the alien having guessed Lex' actions made all the weapons on board safe. Krisma grabs the chopper with his bare hands and destroys it, whilst Lex jumps clear. The fight continues, and just as Krisma is about to make the killing blow, the sky is filled with spaceships. Ships from Krisma's homeworld. They want their beloved leader back.
When Superman arrives, Lex quickly dismisses him. He has far more important things to see to: Lena, and everything is ok.
Story - 3: This was a surprising satisfying ending. However, if I could do it all again, I would have saved my money. The story didn't really reveal anything of interest about our beloved arch-villain, and Krisma was quite frankly the saddest villain ever (except maybe Dr Stratos)
Art - 3: Val did a nice job, and whilst nothing stood out, he gave Lex some lovely frowns.
Cover - 2: A poor cover, just like the others.
Mild Mannered Reviews
1999Note: Month dates are from the issue covers, not the actual date when the comic was on sale.
-  Superman: King of the World
-  Superman #145
-  The Adventures of Superman #568
- Superman's Nemesis: Lex Luthor #4
- JLA #30
- Superman 80-Page Giant #2
- Batman & Superman: World's Finest #3
- Superman: Peace on Earth
-  Action Comics #755
-  Superman - The Man of Steel #90
-  Superman #146
-  The Adventures of Superman #569
- JLA #31
- Superman Adventures #33
- Team Superman #1
- The Incredible Hulk vs Superman #1
- Superman: The Odyssey
- Batman & Superman: World's Finest #4
-  Superman The Man of Tomorrow #14
-  Action Comics #756
-  Superman - The Man of Steel #91
-  Superman #147
- JLA #32
- Superman Adventures #34
- Superman: The Last God of Krypton
- Batman & Superman: World's Finest #5
-  The Adventures of Superman #570
-  Action Comics #757
-  Superman - The Man of Steel #92
-  Superman #148
- JLA #33
- Superman Adventures #35
- Batman & Superman: World's Finest #6
-  The Adventures of Superman #571
-  Action Comics #758
-  Superman - The Man of Steel #93
-  Superman #149
- JLA #34 (No Review)
- Superman Adventures #36
- Batman & Superman: World's Finest #7
-  The Adventures of Superman #572
- Day of Judgment #1
-  Action Comics #759
- Day of Judgment #2
-  Superman - The Man of Steel #94
- Day of Judgment #3
-  Superman #150
- Day of Judgment #4
-  Superman The Man of Tomorrow #15
- Day of Judgment #5
- JLA #35 (No Review)
- Superman Adventures #37
- Superman & Savage Dragon: Metropolis
- Batman & Superman: World's Finest #8
-  Superman #151
-  The Adventures of Superman #573
-  Superman: The Man of Steel #95
-  Action Comics #760
- JLA #36
- Superman Adventures #38
- Superman vs The Terminator #1
- Batman and Superman: World's Finest #9
- The Superman Monster
- Superman Inc. [Elseworlds]
Check out the Comic Index.